Kristin Williams is the owner of Ephemera Paducah. She adores mixed media and messing up her manicures with gesso, paint, glitter and other cool stuff.
Salvaged and Adorned
July 25, 2022
10:00 am - 4:30 pm
As a self-professed “junker,” I have a very hard time passing up unfinished handmade projects when I see them. A few years ago I came across a stack of Quilt Blocks that were never made into a quilt. They were beautifully tattered and worn, and my heart wondered about the hands that crafted them.
I’d love to spend a day together taking you through my process of stenciling, stitching, and adorning these wonderful remnants of past creativity.
I’ve taught this a couple of times in a much smaller timeframe, but think it’d be cool to get you to well on your way in this 1-day workshop!
In the morning we’ll plan your piece and dive in with a boatload of embroidery stitches. You’ll be able to see them well as we have a handy-dandy overhead projector that makes it sooo easy to see. And, I’ll come around for one-on-one instruction since this is great class size.
In the afternoon we’ll talk about attachments and how to pull everything together with 3-D objects and backing fabric. And, keep stitching, stitching, stitching. We’ll take a break for lunch which is included in your workshop registration.
You’ll get a kit that includes:
- Your choice of a vintage quilt square (or if you have one that is meaningful to you, please bring it!)
- Your choice of backing fabric from our stash
- A hoop
- My favorite needles
- Access to our stash of buttons and small objects to include in your work
- Use of our studio paints and stencils
- A basic sewing kit including small scissors, needles, thread, straight pins, etc.
- A variety of embroidery threads in your favorite colors. DMC is a great choice as well as Perle cotton and thicker threads with more heft. Really, experimentation and texture are encouraged! (Or, shop when you get here as we have a nice selection of DMC and Weeks Dye Works threads.)
- Small 3-D Items that are meaningful to you
As always, snacks & drinks, are provided. Chocolate is an Art Supply at Ephemera Paducah!
The minimum age to participate is 16.
The minimum needed to make this class is 4; the maximum is 10.