Kristin Williams is the owner of Ephemera Paducah. She adores mixed media and messing up her manicures with gesso, paint, glitter and other cool stuff.
- Salvaged and Adorned
October 19, 2021
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
As a self-professed “junker,” I have a very hard time passing up unfinished handmade projects when I see them. A few years ago I came across a stack of Quilt Blocks that were never made into a quilt. They were beautifully tattered and worn, and my heart wondered about the hands that crafted them.
I’d love to spend a day together taking you through my process of stenciling, stitching, and adorning these wonderful remnants of past creativity.
I’ve taught this a couple of times in a much smaller timeframe, but think it’d be cool to get you to well on your way in this 1-day workshop!
In the morning we’ll plan your piece and dive in with a boatload of embroidery stitches. You’ll be able to see them well as we have a handy-dandy overhead projector that makes it sooo easy to see. And, I’ll come around for one-on-one instruction since this is great class size.
In the afternoon we’ll talk about attachments and how to pull everything together with 3-D objects and backing fabric. And, keep stitching, stitching, stitching. We’ll take a break for lunch which is included in your workshop registration.
You’ll get a kit that includes:
- Your choice of a vintage quilt square (or if you have one that is meaningful to you, please bring it!)
- Your choice of backing fabric from our stash
- A hoop
- My favorite needles
- Access to our stash of buttons and small objects to include in your work
- Use of our studio paints and stencils
- A basic sewing kit including small scissors, needles, thread, straight pins, etc.
- A variety of embroidery threads in your favorite colors. DMC is a great choice as well as Perle cotton and thicker threads with more heft. Really, experimentation and texture are encouraged! (Or, shop when you get here as we have a nice selection of DMC and Weeks Dye Works threads.)
- Small 3-D Items that are meaningful to you
As always, snacks & drinks, are provided. Chocolate is an Art Supply at Ephemera Paducah!
The minimum age to participate is 16.
The minimum needed to make this class is 4; the maximum is 10.