- Stocking-Making for CASA
May 12, 2020
3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
HO! HO! HO!
For the third year in a row, we are helping out our friends at Child Watch making sure their kiddoes receive a hand-made, personalized stocking, pillowcase or small duffle stuffed with age-appropriate gifts at Christmas!
So far we’ve helped provide stockings and pillowcases for 100s of children in our region.
This year we are starting early and will again provide space and time to help make stockings or hand-sewn pillowcases. For the handful of kids who may have received both years of this program, we’re working on a drawstring duffle.
We will be hosting three (3), open sewing events in 2020 so the Child Watch/CASA folks are ready to go when it’s time to personalize and stuff with goodies.
- Stockings – Tuesday afternoon, May 16th, 3 – 6 pm
- Pillowcases – Tuesday afternoon, July 14th, 3 – 6 pm
- Whatever is needed – Tuesday, October 13th, 3 – 6 pm
There are SO many different ways to help!
Sign up for a shift, below, to come work! There is no charge to volunteer, but we need to manage space in the Studio to get everything done! The patterns will be provided. (Although this event benefits children, we do ask that you refrain from bringing younger children or others who are not actively involved in helping. Involvement is limited to those 12 and older who have sewing skills.)
For each shift we need:
- up to 8 Sewers with their sewing machines & thread
- up to 8 Fabric/Pattern Cutters with great scissors – it really helps to have a lot of cutters as many sewers will take home what they can’t get sewn this night!
- a couple of General Flunkies/Cheerleaders with great attitudes
You can also:
Donate Fabric. You can drop off washed and ironed fabric at Ephemera the week before each sewing event or bring it with you if you’re helping out. Any kind of fun Christmas fabric for kids works for stockings and neutrals work great for the pillowcases/duffles. We also need lining fabric so dig into that stash of Muslin — works great.
Donate Stocking Stuffers. We are a collection station for items. Great ideas are:
- Superhero/princess body wash for elementary age
- Dove/Aveeno/Oil of Olay fancy body wash for girls in middle and high school
- Axe body wash products for boys in middle and high school
- Mud masks/hand scrub kits/etc for tween and teen girls
- Non-perishable make-up for girls middle and high
- Character specific games and puzzles – superheroes, Harry Potter, etc.
- Small art/craft projects
- Action figures
- Dolls – Barbies/Princesses and accessories/clothes
- Balls – mini footballs, basketballs, soccer balls, etc/pumps
Child Watch’s Mission
The mission of Child Watch Counseling and Advocacy Center is to provide children and families in Western KY with education, advocacy, and treatment that prevents child abuse, encourages family stability, promotes healthy relationships, enhances individual well-being, and cultivates safe, nurturing families.
Child Watch’s VISION
- For children to be loved, nurtured and safe from abuse and neglect.
- To assess and address the needs of abused children and provide child-focused services.
- For our community to recognize the special needs of abused children and commit to responding effectively to those needs.
Child Watch’s SERVICE AREA
Purchase Area District Counties: Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall and McCracken Counties.