Encaustic artist Julie Snidle continually seeks ways to elevate her work as an artist and art workshop instructor. Julie engages students new to the art of encaustic painting, as well as those working to heighten their skills, in this ancient art form.
- R&F Wax Weekend - Day 1 Encaustic Painting
March 3, 2018
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
- Day 1 - R+F Wax Weekend. Your registration fee covers lunch, drinks, and snacks. Please take note of the supply list and $25 Kit fee due to Julie at the start of class.
- R&F Wax Weekend - Day 2 Cold Wax & Pigment Sticks
March 4, 2018
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
- Day 2 - R+F Wax Weekend. Your registration fee covers lunch, drinks, and snacks. Please take note of the supply list and $25 Kit fee due to Julie at the start of class.
Students will have the opportunity to learn two different methods of painting with wax. Day 1 is all about encaustic as a warm, versatile painting medium. Day 2 involves painting with oil and cold wax medium, no heat required. Register for both classes for a discounted rate!
Class size: Minimum 4; Maximum 10. No experience necessary. Minimum age to participate: 18
R&F Wax Weekend Day 1 – Encaustic
March 3, 2018 | 9:30 am – 4 pm
Price: $156 plus $25 Kit Fee paid the day of class. Lunch, drinks & snacks are included.
There is so much more to encaustic than beeswax! You will be introduced to this warm and wonderful paint and discover how incredibly versatile and forgiving encaustic can be. The basics of priming appropriate surfaces and fusing with heat will be covered, of course, but you will learn to use many other techniques that can enhance your encaustic paintings. From collage and transfers to carving and scraping, you’ll be surprised by how many ‘wax friendly’ art materials there are. If you like mixed media, this is a must for you! Come and find out what it is about this ancient art medium that is so alluring.
Students should bring:
- 4 or 5 raw, plain, unprimed wood panels 8×10″ or smaller. (Ampersand makes ‘Encaustibord’ which is nice, but plywood works just fine.)*
Kit Fee ($25) includes the use of:
- Saral paper
- Pan Pastels
- Neocolor II watercolor crayons
- collage papers
- charcoal pencils
- graphite pencils
- natural bristle paintbrushes
- black India ink
- wax paper
- R&F encaustic paints
- waxes (encaustic medium and soy)
- burnishing tools
- carving tools
- butane torches
- toner copies for image transfers (not ink jet)
- cardboard shims
- R&F Pigment Sticks
- blue painter’s tape
- 1 Ampersand Encaustibord
- hot palette, equipment, and heat guns.
R&F Wax Weekend Day 2: Cold Wax & Pigment Sticks
March 4, 2018 | 9:30 am – 4 pm
Price: $156 plus $25 Kit Fee paid the day of class. Lunch, drinks & snacks included.
Solvent-free and as luscious as can be, R&F Pigment Sticks are actually oil paint in stick form. If you ever wanted to try oil painting but didn’t like the idea of solvents and cleaning brushes, this workshop is for you. We will examine transparency vs. opacity and the many ways of applying this paint without brushes. The use of Cold Wax will be taught as a medium for thickening and extending the paint. Although these sticks can get a bit messy, this workshop will open up another world of mixed media possibilities for you.
Students should bring:
- Arches oil paper (9×12″ pad)*
- blue painter’s tape (1″ width)
- palette knife*
- soft rubber brayer (either 2″ or 4″)*
- tube of white oil paint, any brand is fine*
- mark making tools (optional)
- 4 oz container of Gamblin cold wax medium*
- silicone spreaders*
*If you would like to have any supplies waiting for you, please zip Kristin an email.
Kit Fee ($25) Includes the use of:
- palette paper
- canvas paper
- Art Graf (tailor-shape, black)
- charcoal and graphite sticks
- nitrile & latex gloves (if you have allergies or exceptionally small or large hands, you will want to bring a large quantity for your use)
- extra Gamblin cold wax medium
- paper plates
- zip-lock bags
- Pigment Sticks to take home!
- variety of spreaders
- baby oil
- baby wipes
- R&F Blending Medium
If both classes appeal to you, register for the Discounted Weekend Rate and save a buck or two. You may also register for the entire weekend by using our “$99 holds your spot” deal which allows you to pay over time. Please note that your $99 deposit is nonrefundable but is applied to your balance. The $198 balance is due no later than January 15, 2018, and can be made on this page via PayPal or Credit Card. Before registering for classes, please familiarize yourself with our Cancellation Policies.