Paper Paintings Collage
October 27, 2017 - October 29, 2017
11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Price: $425.00 and includes daily lunches, drinks, & snacks
Minimum 10; Maximum 20. Minimum age to participate is 16
This 3-day Workshop is a comprehensive class in which students are taught a unique figurative collage technique. You will learn techniques for creating hand painted papers specific for your collage. Emphasis will be on developing form using light, shadow, and directional ripping– very similar to traditional painting techniques. No prior collage experience is necessary. Some painting experience would be helpful, but not imperative.
HOMEWORK: In order to use our workshop time for hands-on collage, the under-painting of your images need to be prepared in advance of the class.
- Please come to class with one single apple pre-painted using acrylic paint, large in the center of the 12×12 canvas panel OR wood panel for the “apple exercise”. You should use this photo as reference:
- Please also prepare an image of your choice on a second canvas panel of small to medium size, 12×14 or 16×20 or so. NOTE: For your main project, please choose an image with a large point of focus and a simple composition, (ex: a large vase of flowers and a simple background, a large head of a cow with a blue sky background, a small bird on a branch, the head and bust of a dog with a simple horizon behind it) you may work from a photograph, or a magazine image, or your choice of reference (morguefile.com is a good resource for copyright free photos).
- PLEASE DO NOT take these underpaintings to a level of fine detail, keep them rough and loose and remember that we will be applying the collage over them. Beginner level painting is totally fine, it’s the collage over the top that counts! Bring your reference photos.
- Here is a very help video showing you step-by-step instruction of how to do the underpainting. It’s much easier than you think! Apple Underpainting Tutorial
PLEASE BRING THE FOLLOWING SUPPLIES:
- RICE PAPER, Hosho or Shuji Gami Kozo Paper Roll. Washi or Unyuri white papers with and without fibers/texture purchase online @ DickBlick.com, PaperStudio.com or local art supply store (we’ll have some in the shop) in the Chinese brush painting section.
- VARIETY OF PAPERS, sheet music, maps, wallpaper, handwritten notes, old book pages, hand made papers, deli paper, white tissue – variety of thickness and textures. You can do this totally with found papers.
- DECORATIVE PAPERS, papers you purchase at your local art supply store with fiber, embossing, metallic patterning, iridescent patterning. Please purchase in white or natural if possible, this allows for the most color options when painting. • NO MAGAZINES or shiny coated printed papers, please. We will experiment with hand-painting, -staining, -stamping and -patterning a variety of papers.
- TEXTURE TOOLS – Please bring any stamps, toothbrushes, palette knives or stencils you might like to use for adding texture. We will provide a table with shared materials for the workshop.
- GOLDEN BRAND FLUID ACRYLIC PAINTS for under-painting on panel AND hand-painting papers (I prefer fluid acrylics for painting papers as they maintain their vibrancy when watered down. You can use any acrylic or permanent ink you have on hand!)
- CANVAS PANELS economy surface for support, available at DickBlick.com or local craft store. This is mat board covered with pre-primed canvas, NOT stretched canvas. One 12×12 sized for the small apple exercise and one for your second project (time permitting) of small to medium size, 12×14 or 16×20. Both prepainted with underpainting.
- FILBERT STYLE PAINT BRUSHES (half inch – one inch) for under-painting and applying glue.
- LIQUITEX GLOSS GEL MEDIUM, this is the collage glue.
- WATER VESSEL & SHOWER CURTAIN LINER table cover
- PAPER PLATES for palette & PALETTE PAPER A pad of disposable palette paper 12×16
- GALLON PLASTIC ZIP BAGS For organizing papers
- OPTIONAL*GELLI PLATE 8X10 SIZE PLUS PAINT BRAYER Elizabeth has three Gelli Plates for sharing and the Ephemera Paducah Studio has 6 large ones, however, they are usually a huge hit and if you want to bring your own, you are welcome to, along with a paint brayer. (We have a variety of sizes for sale in the shop.)
- OPTIONAL: *WOOD PANELS Elizabeth works on wood panel, either cut down 1/8 inch sanded birch plywood or American Easel Wood Painting Panels from DickBlick.com. This would be a more expensive option than canvas panel and does require a Liquitex clear or opaque gesso primer coat.
3-DAY WORKSHOP SCHEDULE:
10:00-12:00 a.m. – Classroom work: discussion and slide presentation of “Paper Painting” collage technique. Please bring pen and paper for note taking.
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. – Lunch (provided)
1:00 – 4:00 p.m. – Demonstration of techniques for painting papers by the instructor, followed by students painting collage papers for the “small apple exercise” and a second collage of their choice
10:00-12:00 a.m. Hand painting collage papers for the “small apple exercise” and second collage project
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. – Lunch (provided)
1:00 – 4:00 p.m. – Demonstration by the instructor of collage application technique, followed by students beginning their collage application.
9:00 – 2:00 p.m. – Collage application with individual attention from the instructor
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. – Lunch buffet provided
2:00 – 3:00 p.m. – Critique of each student’s work.
Students may reserve a seat in this workshop with a $99 deposit. The $326 balance is due on or before September 1, 2017. Full payment only after September 1, 2017. For those taking advantage of the deposit system to hold your spot in the full weekend of classes, the balance of payment can be made via PayPal on this page.