Old Books to Art Books
Lesley Patterson-Marx is a delightful and talented book, mixed media and fiber artist!
Old Books to Art Books Day 1
August 20, 2021
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Old Books to Art Books Day 2
August 21, 2021
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Covid-19 Precautions Updated – August 11, 2021
Please read our updated policies found here: Current Covid-19 Precautionary Requirements
In this 1.5 day workshop, you will create a wonderful hand-bound exposed spine journal, complete with pockets, page guards, envelopes, and a mica window. The covers will be made from a repurposed vintage book of your choice. You’ll have the opportunity to use delightful found papers and ephemera as you design the pockets and other exquisite details within your new blank (not for long!) journal.
This book will be a real joy to make and work in, and you may never want a store-bought journal again! The good news is, after completing this workshop, you’ll have all the skills you need to make these hand-bound beauties to your heart’s content.
The wonderful news, other than a few tools, most everything is provided! Walk in and create for a day and a half!
Provided for you will be:
Heat-n-Bond, Assorted fabric, Assorted decorative paper, Mica, Dollhouse nails, Vintage Reader’s Digest books, Strathmore 400 series drawing paper, Cardboard for making book cradles, Binder’s needles, PVA glue, Waxed linen thread, Waxed paper, Parchment Paper, White erasers, Mechanical pencils, Inexpensive brushes for glue, ¼”, ½”, and 1”, Envelope templates
Students, Please bring (if you need any of these items waiting for you just let Kristin know):
- Vintage Book of your choice (in answer to a question about a beat-up book, Lesley said, It’s terrific if your book is missing its spine. We’ll only be using the covers.”) And, Lesley will be bringing vintage Reader’s Digest books (with lovely covers) in case you don’t have a special book that you want to use.
- Light duty awl
- large self-healing mat (18×24) or large sheet of scrap mat board to use as a cutting surface
- 12”-18” metal ruler
- Bone folder or another paper-folding tool (Talas sells wonderful Teflon bone folders)
- Olfa Brand Utility knife
- #11 X-Acto knife & extra blades
- fine line color (and black) markers to touch up windows
Saturday lunch, as well as snacks & drinks daily, are provided. Chocolate is an Art Supply at Ephemera Paducah!
The minimum age to participate is 16.
The minimum needed to make this class is 6; the maximum is 12
Before registering, please familiarize yourself with our Cancellation Policies.
Please note that your $99 deposit is non-refundable but is applied to your balance. Your balance ($126) is due no later than June 1, 2021, and can be made via PayPal or Credit card on this page or by mailing a check to Ephemera Paducah. Not paying the balance on or before the due dates results in the loss of your deposit and class seat.