A self-taught mixed media artist, Jodi Ohl has earned herself a spot in the mixed media landscape, as both artist and renowned instructor. For the last several years she has developed a diverse body of work that features distinctive textures and bold color combinations.
- Grunge Ink
April 15, 2016
6:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Graffiti Rowhouses
April 16, 2016 - April 17, 2016
6:00 am - 1:00 pm
Enjoy a weekend of experimental art with mixed media artist Jody Ohl. Sign up for Friday’s Grunge Ink painting class, Saturday’s Graffiti Row Houses mixed media and collage, or take both workshops and save $31! Reserve your class spots with a $99 deposit and pay only $399 for a weekend of Mixed Media Madness! Total amount is due by March 1st. Class size: Minimum 10; Maximum 25
April 15, 2016 | 10 am – 5 pm
Price: $145 plus $25 Kit Fee paid the day of class. Lunch, drinks & snacks are included.
Are you the intrigued by experimental art? Does letting loose and letting things ‘flow’ excite and scare you at the same time? During this action packed and fun filled class we are going to create a variety of inked up abstracts on an amazing surface which will allow you to add, subtract, draw, drip and more as you create one of a kind grungy abstract mixed media art pieces. Learn how to create compositions that begged to be touched and leave your viewer wondering ‘how did they do that?’!!!! The creative energy you will bring to class will literally assist in the act of ‘transformation’ each and every piece from one stage to another. Be ready for exhilarating exercises, bring your fearless artistic self, and come prepared for hours of grungy inky fun and creative experimentation!
Those who are fearless and love to experiment, or for those that want to be more adventurous in their art, will LOVE this class. We will be working on Yupo paper and incorporating a variety of acrylic inks, paints, India ink and tons of special effects to garner intriguing and luscious layers in our contemporary abstract works.
Students should bring:
- 1-2 brayers (soft and or hard or one of each for a soft one, Jodi loves the one found here.)
- Medium sized flat paint brush & a couple of small brushes
- Paint palette
- You can also bring a few of your favorite stencils
For those taking the full weekend of classes – both Graffiti Row Houses and Grunge Ink – you may reserve your class spots with a $99 deposit and pay only $399 for a weekend of Mixed Media Madness! Payment in full can be made over time, and the total amount is due by March 1st.
Numerous substrates, including Yupo Paper, other essential project tools, use all of the instructor’s paint (Golden High flow and Fluid acrylics). If you choose to bring your own Golden High Flow and Fluid Acrylics, the kit fee can be reduced to $15.
Graffiti Row Houses
April 16 & 17, 2016 | 10 am – 5 pm
Price: $285 plus $30 Kit Fee paid the day of class. Lunch, drinks & snacks both days included.
Join us for a 2-day adventure in mixed media, collage and acrylic painting during Jodi Ohl’s Graffiti Row Houses. Loosen up and learn how to create this whimsical, yet edgy streetscape that is bold and full of texture, text, and quirky designs. We will be working on a larger rectangular canvas that will be a virtual playground for discovery as we design our ‘street’ of fun houses. This course is suitable for all skill levels!
In addition to working on our canvases, we will be creating a variety of painted papers to use for collage elements within our composition. You are also encouraged to bring your Art Journal to work in it over the weekend.
Students should bring:
- Lightweight collage material you may want to incorporate. Gelli prints are good for this project.
- Your favorite scissors
- Your art journal
- Assorted brushes- large flat, and a variety of your favorite brushes with at least 1 small round for details
In order to cut down on wait time, students are encouraged, but NOT required to bring:
- Water spray bottle (not a mister) (we will have some to share)
- Scraping tools such as a flat Catalyst wedge (beige or gray style), credit card or other scraping tool (we will have some to share)
- A few Neo Color water soluble crayons. Suggest: white, gray, blue, pink, purple, or just choose a few of your favorites (we will have some to share)
- A few of your favorite soft body or fluid paints (we will have paints as part of your kit fee, but if you have favorite colors you may want to bring them to assure availability)
- Suggested, not required: 1 bottle of water proof black india ink (I like to use Higgins Black Magic), 1 jar of white ink
- Suggested, not required: Speedball dip pen set: please use the cartooning set or sketching set NOT the calligraphy set
- (2) 20 gauge fineline applicator filled with black fluid acrylic, and one filled with titanium white fluid acrylic (shared applicators provided)
- A few paint pens but you only need a few for details. White, black, and a couple of colors such as yellow, orange, pink, and or purple are good choices. (we will have some to share)
- Stabilo Marks-All Pencil, black (we will have some to share)
If you would like to have any supplies waiting for you, please zip Kristin an email.
Kit Fee Includes:
- 12″ x 24″ Canvas
- Use of instructor’s paints, mediums, gesso, fineline applicators, paint pens, Neocolor Crayons
- Use of Ephemera Paducah’s paper stash, deli paper, paints, water containers, aprons, palettes, scrapers in the studio, studio brushes