Abstract Mixed Media Collage
Abstract mixed media collage artist Laura Lein-Svencner will lead students of all levels and skills in this 3-day workshop that explores the process, principles and techniques used in fine art collage.
- Laura Lein-Svencner Abstract Mixed Media Collage
August 24, 2018 - August 26, 2018
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Price: $465 – includes lunches, drinks & snacks daily
Class size: Minimum 7; Maximum 12. No experience necessary. Minimum age to participate: 18
The Medium of Collage illustrates not only where it has been but also where it is going; blurring the boundaries of possibilities, exposing rich storylines of experimentation while aiding in each student’s visual vocabulary. The use of color, texture, and imagery will be emphasized through the layering of altered collage papers and acrylics. Students will be encouraged to build their own palette of papers.
The connections to composition through design principles will be taught along with the intuitive process visually associated with the fine art of collage.
Tack irons will be used to fuse the collage papers to a variety of desired surfaces (irons will be provided for use in class and available for sale after for those interested). Clear image transfer technique will also be taught using the tack iron fusing method. Whether new to collage or more experienced, this workshop is designed to engage all levels of interest in the contemporary medium of collage.
Students should bring the following: ***
- Utility knife
- Sketchbook-8 x 10
- Roll of paper towels
- Tub of baby wipes, generic is fine
- Roll of wax paper
- 1 sheet of fine sandpaper, Grade between #150 -#220
- Small water bucket
- 2 glue sticks
- Hand protection, gloves-rubber or latex, (you know what you can wear)
- 2-days’ worth of newspaper
- 2” chip brush from the hardware store
- 1” flat brush
- Small round point paint brush for details and shadow work
- 1-roll Blue painters tape, delicate grade, or any painter’s tape that is delicate, frog tape etc.
- 1-plastic dollar store table cover, or shower curtain
- Small box of wax crayons- Caran d Arche’-Neo Color Wax Crayons
- A few cosmetic sponges wedges 1-3”
- Sponge paint roller
- 10 paper plates – used for a palette
- 2-National Geographic magazines, 1995 to more recent publications
- 6 sheets of 80lb drawing paper 11 x 15 or smaller
- 3 sheets 14 x 18, 140lb. Cold press watercolor paper Cut 3 piece of 140lb. Cold press watercolor paper to 6” x 6”
- 1-12 x 12, 1 ½ Ampersand Wood panel
- A selection of found papers, maps, sheet music, old letters, old book pages and gift bags.
- Beads, thread embellishment, optional
- Nice selection acrylic paints, preferably in bottle form can include craft paints.
- A small selection of Golden(brand) fluid acrylic paints preferably in a bottle.
- 1-32oz bottle of Golden’s Gloss Medium (was called Polymer Medium (gloss) changed names recently)
- 1 – 8oz jar of white Gesso
- Stamping objects for pattern making on collage papers.
***We will have these items in stock. Zip Kristin an email to have supplies waiting for you.
Class times are:
Friday, August 24, 2018, 9 am – 4 pm
Saturday, August 25, 2018, 9 am – 4 pm
Sunday, August 26, 2018, 9 am – 4 pm
You may register for the entire weekend by using our “$99 holds your spot” deal which allows you to pay over time. Please note that your $99 deposit is nonrefundable but is applied to your balance. Your balance ($366) is due no later than July 1, 2018, and can be made via PayPal or Credit card on this page. Before registering for classes, please familiarize yourself with our Cancellation Policies.