Finding the Soul of Forgotten Materials
Sculpture artist Geoffrey Gorman teaches students how to construct sculptures using found objects techniques to overcome construction challenges that often present themselves in three-dimensional artwork. Students are encouraged to think about shapes, forms and materials that intrigue them and incorporate these ideas and objects into their work.
- Finding the Soul of Forgotten Materials
March 16, 2018 - March 20, 2018
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
This 5-day Sculpture Workshop with Geoffrey Gorman provides an immersive experience exploring creative uses for cast-off materials. Class size: Minimum 8; Maximum 12. No experience necessary, but students need to be familiar with using hand and power tools such as drills, band saws, and sanders. Minimum age to participate: 18
Finding the Soul of Forgotten Materials
March 16-20, 2018 | 10:00 am – 5 pm
Price: $699 Lunches, drinks & snacks are included.
This 5-day workshop encourages students to experiment with innovative and intuitive ways of creating a variety of structures and forms using organic, found and recycled materials.
Students are invited to think about shapes and forms that hold particular interest and bring these ideas to the workshop.
Using unusual techniques developed by Geoffrey to overcome construction challenges, each student will complete a variety of forms, something they want to create.
Students are asked to bring some of their own favorite cast off materials. Time and group interest allowing, a field trip to gather materials may be included.
This class is perfect for beginners seeking an introduction to creating curious objects as well as intermediate and advanced students wishing to reach the next level and break out of their comfort zone.
Students need to be familiar with using hand and power tools such as drills, band saws, and sanders.
We will look at selecting and designing pedestals and stands for artwork. We will also learn how to making patinated and painted Tin to add age and color to various forms.
Students should bring:
- Paducah has Lowe’s, Home Depot & Harbor Freight if you decide to purchase any of these items locally. Additionally, feel free to have items shipped to Ephemera Paducah — just give Kristin a head’s up packages for you are on their way.
- 7” coping saw – http://www.dickblick.com/products/7-coping-saw/
- Power drill with battery – http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=battery+drill
- Variety of size drill bits – http://www.harborfreight.com/high-speed-steel-drill-bit-set-29-pc-61639.html
- Set of 3 different size pliers – http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-high-voltage-electricians-pliers-35439.html
- Tin snips – http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-straight-pattern-snips-66592.html
- Golden Regular Gel Matte, 8-Ounce (stocked at Ephemera Paducah)
- Krylon Clear Spray (stocked at Ephemera Paducah)
- Carving foam – https://anglersartistry.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_reviews&cPath=20_24&products_id=113&zenid=caf80da37e64a1b9203766466513110c
- Scissors – http://www.dickblick.com/products/x-acto-multi-material-scissors/
- 24 gauge Wire – http://www.dickblick.com/products/ook-dark-annealed-specialty-wire/
- Gorilla glue – http://www.dickblick.com/products/gorilla-glue/
- Canvas – http://www.dickblick.com/items/07333-1060/
- Screws – http://www.harborfreight.com/550-piece-sheet-metal-screw-storehouse-67559.html
- Small hammer – http://www.harborfreight.com/16-oz-ball-pein-hammer-69010.html
- Glue gun – http://www.dickblick.com/products/surebonder-high-temperature-trigger-fed-glue-gun/
- Rasp – http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-file-and-rasp-set-97070.html
- Heavy duty annealed fencing wire
- Phillips head screwdriver
- u tacks
- Assortment of small nails
- ¼” threaded rod with nuts and washers
- Block of wood for pedestal
- Old tin cans, etc.
- Bike tire
- Bike inner tube
You may register for the entire weekend by using our “$99 holds your spot” deal which allows you to pay over time. Please note that your $99 deposit is nonrefundable but is applied to your balance. Full payment is due no later than February 1, 2018, and can be made via PayPal or Credit card on this page. Before registering for classes, please familiarize yourself with our Cancellation Policies.