Melanie Morris leads workshops that help students create fresher and more intuitive paintings. Known for her paint-layering technique and dreamlike works, Melanie’s style is often fast-paced and spontaneous. Attendees frequently come away surprised to find their favorite paintings are the ones they created in the shortest amount of time.
- Fearless Florals Day 1
July 16, 2021
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Fearless Florals Day 2
July 17, 2021
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Do you wish you were more “fearless” in your approach to acrylic painting? Do you love the look of floral paintings? If you want to create looser florals without fear, this is the class for you!
The class will paint from life choosing a floral from a number of bouquets that will be provided. Melanie will walk students step-by-step through how to create a successful floral painting – from composition to color mixing. She will paint numerous demos each day and provide individual guidance. Students love this encouraging class and are excited to continue painting at home.
Below are the supplies Melanie recommends but advises to please bring what you have.
At a minimum, you will need gel medium, retarder, disposable mixing pad, and the Sta-Wet palette. Please let Kristin know if you’d like to have any of these waiting for you.
Acrylic Paints – You don’t have to have the exact colors and are welcome to bring what you have. I like Golden brand acrylics but any brand is fine. You want regular heavy body acrylics not liquid or “open”. Also, professional paints have more pigment than student grade allowing for richer colors. Below are the main colors on my palette.
• Cadmium Red Medium
• Cadmium Yellow
• Titanium White
• Cerulean Blue Chromium
• Alizarin Crimson
• Phthalo Blue (Green Shade)
• Ultramarine Blue
• Permanent Rose (This is a Winsor & Newton color)
I also like to keep the following colors on my palette but they are optional.
• Cadmium Orange
• Dioxazine Purple
Golden mediums and retarder. The medium has the same consistency as the heavy body paint. The retarder is a thick liquid.
• Regular Gloss Gel Medium
• Retarder (liquid)
• Synthetic Brushes – bring what you have. I like brights – #4, #6, #8 are good sizes. It seems like each brand of brush has different sizing so to the right is a photo of the ones I use the most.
I prefer the long handle brushes – helps to make your painting looser. I like the Silver Brush Bristlon All Media Brushes
• Palette/painting knife – I find the most versatile shape knife is the one below. We will be using the knife just to load your palette so a plastic knife is fine too.
• Large Disposable Paper Palette (without a hole – 12 x 16 or larger)
• Sta-Wet Premier Palette –Buy the red top palette – it has the sponge and special paper you will need. I keep all my paint in this palette box and mix on the disposable paper palette. My acrylic paint stays wet for a couple of weeks.
• Willow or vine charcoal
• Six 6” x 6” canvases or panels – I use Ampersand Value panels in the smooth finish but you are welcome to bring whatever you like. I don’t recommend the canvas panels.
• Disposable gloves – I end up finger painting to smear edges so I like to wear gloves. You don’t want them too loose because they will just get in the way
• Optional – ViewCatcher– I’m a big fan of a viewfinder. I use it to get the proportion of my canvas then select my composition.
As always, lunches, as well as snacks & drinks, are provided. Chocolate is an Art Supply at Ephemera Paducah!
The minimum age to participate is 16.
The minimum needed to make this class is 10; the maximum is 16.
You may register for this workshop by using our “$99 holds your spot” deal which allows you to pay over time. Please note that your $99 deposit is nonrefundable but is applied to your balance. Your balance ($340) is due no later than May1, 2021, and can be made via PayPal or Credit card on this page or by mailing a check to Ephemera Paducah. Not paying the balance on or before the due dates results in the loss of your deposit and class seat.
Before registering, please familiarize yourself with our Cancellation Policies.