Sunny Carvalho's unique style is whimsical, lively, pleasingly odd, and shows that this humble artist never takes herself too seriously. A patient and skilled instructor, Sunny's classes are a delight.
Day 2 - Faux Mache
August 12, 2022
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Day 3 - Faux Mache
August 13, 2022
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Come join me on an adventure in Faux Mache! I have always been interested in Paper Mache but never enjoyed the mess of creating with paste. In this workshop, you will learn a new method of achieving the look of paper mache without the mess (thus the “faux” in Faux Mache!). We will use simple supplies to make little dwellings, ornaments, and wall hangings. We will also make little characters to occupy our dwellings. The techniques in this class are easily attainable by both beginners and professional artists/craftsmen alike. It’s time to make new friends….the kind you can take home! – Sunny Carvalho
Join Sunny on an adventure in making little dwellings for cute characters! We will begin by using simple supplies to make our houses and then move on to making the characters who will live inside. We will also make some larger pieces that can be used as wall hangings or ornaments.
For the house and ornament structure:
- A cardboard box (I like the Priority boxes from the Post Office. You probably have one lying around. It doesn’t have to be unused)
- A cereal box (or any thin cardboard from a box from your pantry)
- Newspaper (I really love the papers you can get at Asian or Spanish markets but any will do as long as it is the thin uncoated paper)
- Gel Medium and an old brush
- Masking tape
- Cheap Aluminum Foil
- Exacto Knife
- Wire to use as a hanger (18 gauge is fine)
- Ribbon or yarn to use as a hinge
- Piece of scrapbook paper to use for the background inside the box
- Burnt Umber Ink to “age” the house. I use Liquitex Acrylic Ink
For the dolly character:
- DAS Air Hardening Clay 2.2 lbs White (we will have it in the shop – if you already bought La Doll, that will work as well. We had some supply issues and Sunny likes both)
- Paint: Golden Fluid Acrylics (colors I use a lot are Burnt Umber Light, Paynes Gray, Titanium White, Pyrole Red Light) or Paper Artsy Chalk Paints (whatever colors you like). My favorite base coat paint is Paper Artsy in the color called “Chalk”.
- Permanent Ink Pen (my favorite is Faber Castell Pitt Pen, size S and XS)
- 18 gauge wire
- Piece of thin fabric to make a dress or wool felt.
- Embroidery Floss and needle
- Small scissors
- Any embellishments you like
If you need anything, let me know and we will have them waiting for you when you arrive for class. zip Kristin an email!
The minimum age to participate is 18. The minimum number to make the class is 6. We’ll cap the workshop at 18 total.
$199 HOLDS YOUR SPOT
You can register for this class with the option of paying $199 to Hold Your Spot! Please note that your $199 deposit is non-refundable but is applied to your balance. Your balance ($280) is due no later than July 1, 2022, and can be made via Credit card on this page (allowing for payments (2) of half or full balance due) by mailing a check(s) to Ephemera Paducah. Not paying the full balance on or before the due date results in the loss of your deposit and class seat.