A self-taught mixed media artist, Jodi Ohl has earned herself a spot in the mixed media landscape, as both artist and renowned instructor. For the last several years she has developed a diverse body of work that features distinctive textures and bold color combinations.
- Exploring Cold Wax & Oil Paint Day 1
August 27, 2021
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Exploring Cold Wax & Oil Paint Day 2
August 28, 2021
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Exploring Cold Wax & Oil Paint Day 3
August 29, 2021
9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Covid-19 Precautions Update – June 15, 2021
On June 11, 2021, Kentucky lifted all mandates regarding Covid precautions that would impact our workshops at Ephemera Paducah.
What that means is, those who are not fully vaccinated are strongly encouraged to wear a mask during the workshop while inside. Those who are more comfortable wearing a mask if vaccinated may certainly do so. However, precautions such as masks/attestation of vaccination status, etc. are no longer required for this workshop.
Additionally, this workshop is a GO! We are good to go with the original schedule and class size.
My staff and I are fully vaccinated. We have hand sanitizer, soap, and clean shared supplies as well as clean the studio each evening of your workshop. We will also continue to be mindful of social distance in classes and use technology so that demonstrations are projected eliminating the need to hover around a table to see what’s going on!
We are so looking forward to seeing you at an in-person workshop this year!
Join author, instructor, and mixed media artist, Jodi Ohl in this spectacular and fun-filled 3-day workshop where you will learn the basics of painting with oil paints and cold wax!
Trying something new is scary, but we will make it easy on you in this clear, step-by-step process that will cover everything from beginning to end.
In this workshop, the following concepts will be covered:
- How to paint with oil paint and cold wax
- Learn the process from prepping to completion
- Explore working on paper and wood surfaces
- Create distinctly textured landscapes and other geometric patterned abstract painting and even compose a piece more whimsical in nature
- Explore layering, mark-making, and some collage techniques
- Focus on color, value, and composition where we will be ‘planning for the unexpected”.
Friday, August 27th
- 10 am – 4 pm with a break for lunch (provided)
- Morning Session will include preparing surfaces, learning about supplies and a demonstration of techniques
- Jumpstarting projects
- Composition discussions
- Afternoon Session will include work on paper and beginning work on wood surfaces.
Saturday, August 28th
- 10 am – 4 pm with a break for lunch (provided)
- Morning Session will include a variety of demonstrations and discussions on layering, revealing and concealing, and working with colors
- Afternoon Session: our focus will be on shifting, editing, refining and developing our studies.
Sunday, August 29h
- 9 am – 1 pm – no break for lunch but grab and go food provided
- Our last session will be spent examining and enhancing our compositions based on the work and discussions leading up to the finalization of our projects.
- Demonstrations on final tips and techniques to enhance your work.
- Students should have ample time to finalize projects. Please note, cold wax and oil paintings do take up to a month to fully dry and cure. If you are traveling by plane, you may want to make arrangements to ship work home that may need more time to cure. You may also want to bring wax paper to cover your work up for travel purposes as well.
- 1 pm – 2 pm – Gallery, Questions, and Final Commentary.
In an effort to ensure students can come to this workshop without a huge investment of new supplies, many tools and assorted supplies will be provided to you as part of our tuition: wood surface, drawing instruments, cold wax mediums, assorted basic colors of oil paint, texture tools, brush cleaners, stencils, pastels, mark-making tools, shiva /R & F paint sticks, and more!
Students should bring to class (email Kristin if you’d like to have any supplies waiting for you):
1 pad of Arches Oil Paper (either size will do but you will be able to do more practice pieces with the larger size)
1 glass mason jar with lid (or metal brush cleaner)
A couple of palette knives for mixing and applying paint.
1-2 oil brushes (small for details, medium for glazing) *we mostly use scraping tools so don’t invest in expensive brushes.
Paint: 4-6 colors of oil paint (white, black, titanium buff, and a few assorted neutral & primary colors will be provided for shared use.) Please add to your palette with colors that can mix well together or palettes you are comfortable working in). If you are new to oil paint, really any brand will work. Both Dick Blick and Jerry’s Artarama have student versions of oil paint that are great to start with. If you are traveling with a friend, consider sharing so you have additional colors to work with.
Palette: I like to cover a flat box such as a priority mailing box with Freezer paper for my palette. If you have a covered palette, that’s good, too, but honestly, the covered box works well. Please bring a couple of extra priority boxes wrapped in freezer paper for use on other paper projects we will be doing.
Medical gloves that protect against solvents.
Other: If you have old wood (not canvas) surfaces you would like to paint over feel free to bring them along.
***Note, we will not be using any turpentine or very strong chemicals in this process, but if you are at all sensitive to fumes, you may want to bring a breathing mask with you.
Feel free to contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
As always, lunches, as well as snacks & drinks, are provided. Chocolate is an Art Supply at Ephemera Paducah!
The minimum age to participate is 18, Teens aged 14-17 welcome with an adult also registered for the workshop.
The minimum needed to make this class is 10; the maximum is 18.
You may register for this workshop by making a deposit of $99 which allows you to pay over time. Please note that your $99 deposit is non-refundable but is applied to your balance. Your balance ($490) is due no later than July 1, 2021, and can be made via PayPal or Credit card on this page or by mailing a check to Ephemera Paducah. Not paying the balance on or before the due dates results in the loss of your deposit and class seat.
Do you have friends who would enjoy this class, too? One of you needs to choose the option of “The Loft + Class” and you can stay upstairs! It sleeps 8 friends in six (6) beds. Check out photos and a description on the website under The Loft. The Loft + Class registration fee is priced at the Early Bird Rate.
Before registering, please familiarize yourself with our Cancellation Policies.