Seth Apter is a mixed media artist, instructor, author and designer. His artwork has been exhibited in multiple exhibitions and can be found in numerous books, independent zines, and national magazines.
Day 1 - Found and Gathered
July 21, 2022
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Day 2 - Found and Gathered
July 22, 2022
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Day 3 - Found and Gathered
July 23, 2022
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
This one went really quickly and the Waitlist is full. Feel free to check back closer to classtime for cancellations.
Join me at a very special gathering of creative makers at Ephemera Paducah in Paducah, Kentucky – one of only nine UNESCO designated Creative Cities in the USA. This event is not simply an art workshop but rather has been designed to be an experience and an adventure. As we navigate our new world, after a long stretch of isolation and uncertainty, we will gather together to find a new way to create, express, engage, and flourish. – Seth Apter
Found and Gathered is a three-day class that will enable you to immerse yourself in the creative process. The experience begins the moment you register as you source, find, and gather your own personal collection of papers, fibers, ephemera, photographs, and other bits & pieces that will become the basis of your creation. As the workshop begins and unfolds, we will gather together, both within the workshop space at Ephemera Paducah and at several surprise locations in the area. You will spend your time transforming your treasures into a series of what might loosely be called artist books. Some will be stitched and bound, some will be loose and some will simply be scraps floating in between. See the accompanying images to get a better sense of the project.
The instruction offered throughout, for the group as a whole as well as one-to-one, will cover the range of techniques used in mixed media: surface design, using paints and inks, hand stitching, bookbinding, mark-making, gel printing, collage, creative layering, and more. The workshop is designed to alternate between focused instructional demonstrations and uninterrupted art-making – allowing you to learn new techniques, styles, and approaches AND offering you precious time to get into the zone. This structure enables everybody the opportunity to work at their own comfortable pace in their own comfortable space. The group share at the end of the workshop is the perfect way to ease out of the magic of our time together back into our own outside worlds.
Seth/Ephemera Paducah will provide: Chipbrushes for painting and gluing, water jars, parchment paper mat for a palette, some shared Paper Artsy Paints, matte medium, glue stick, needles, thread & waxed linen thread. Seth will have an assortment of his rubber stamps & stencils, for sharing. Seth will collect a $15 kit fee at the start of the workshop, please bring cash.
In addition, please bring:
- Two book covers, any size. Please note that the size of these covers determines the size of your project. The sample in the images measures approximately 3.75 x 4.75 inches. The covers remain loose in your project, so anything goes: actual book covers, book board, metal sheets, wood panels, etc. You can choose to use them as they are or paint/collage over them in class.
- For your pages – About a shoebox full, total. Curating & culling before class is strongly encouraged!
- Flotsam & Jetsam. This is how you make your project truly unique. Anything goes: ephemera, photographs, fabric scraps, washi tape, your own small drawings, hand-painted and/or gel plate papers, vintage and found paper, flat mementos, and keepsakes, small envelopes, etc.
- Paper to use for collage and as pages. Keeping in mind the size of your book covers, bring an assortment of watercolor paper deli paper, transparencies, vintage book pages, photographs, thin fabric, tissue, handmade paper, cardstock, decorated paper, etc.
- As we work and gather, items you don’t use can be added to the class share table.
- Gel Plate
- Fluid acrylic paint – 8 or so of your favorite colors and it would be oh-so-great if you and your tablemates would share
- Ink pads – black and a few of your favorites. Staz-on, Distress, or really any pad will work
- Craft sponges or makeup sponges for paint & ink daubing
- Scissors and/or craft knife and cutting mat
- Mark makers – your absolute go-to pens, pencils, crayons.
- If you need anything, we will have it waiting for you when you arrive for class. zip Kristin an email!
Please note that Seth will bring in many mixed media supplies to share, we will supplement from the Studio Stash, and there will be many special items available to purchase from Ephemera Paducah. That being said, feel free to bring your favorite, go-to supplies for mixed media that have not been included on this list.
We’ll have an opening reception on the patio, option dinner on Friday night, field trips planned, and some fun surprises! More details will be shared via email to registrants closer to the event.
The minimum age to participate is 16 (if 16 or 17 must be accompanied by an adult also registered for the workshop)
The minimum number to make the class is 12. We’ll cap the workshop at 20 total.
$199 HOLDS MY SPOT
You can register for this class with the option of paying $199 to Hold Your Spot! Please note that your $199 deposit is non-refundable but is applied to your balance. Your balance ($400) is due no later than June 1, 2022, and can be made via Credit card on this page (allowing for 2 payments of 1/2 the balance due or the full balance due) by mailing a check(s) to Ephemera Paducah. Not paying the full balance on or before the due date results in the loss of your deposit and class seat.
Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is a requirement for this workshop. Please be prepared to show your vaccine card upon arrival.
|Found and Gatheredshow details +||$599.00 (USD)||Sold Out|
Lunches, snacks, and drinks provided each day! Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is a requirement for this workshop. Please be prepared to show your vaccine card upon arrival.
Sale Dates- The dates when this option is available for purchase.
Goes On Sale: October 9, 2021 9:00 am
Sales End: July 11, 2022 12:00 am
Access- This option allows access to the following dates and times.